Saturday, February 27, 2010

My Lunchtime Walk from School

I get out of school at 1:00 everyday and spend the next hour eating lunch and shopping for dinner.

This guy is selling ears of corn that you choose to lather with chili, mayo or other condiments. These are not my favorite as I'm used to the Americanized sweet corn and this stuff is stodgy - then cover it with mayo and chili, no thanks!






This woman is selling cactus, peppers and spicy chickpeas served on thick tortillas as a lunch snack for bus riders. I had it once and it was fantastic but a little dry.





This is the entrance to the main indoor market in San Miguel. You can buy six mangos for three dollars, a giant as big as your head jicama for a little over a buck and avocadoes for a nickle. In this picture you can also see honey and flowers for sale.





My favorite restaurant in San Miguel located in the center of the centro mercado. They serve chicken fried steak sandwiches, chicken mole, bistek, soups and every kind of fresh fruit juice you can imagine. My favorite juice is lime with a little sugar water or guava with milk.





Finally, my lunch. This is chicken stew made with zucchini, carrots, herbs and a piece of chicken. You also get rice and tortillas and the very common bowl of condiments - onions, cilantro, jalapeno and limes. This meal with a coke is 35 pesos or $2.75 and it's good! I will miss this particular lunch when we move on next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment