Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Tom Yum Kang

The last time I was in Thailand in 2000, I never gave it a fair shake. We had been traveling in Europe and Africa and we were TIRED by the time we got here. I vowed to give it my full attention this time around. I have started with a food study and since we have been here almost a week, I have now tried at least 10 different thai dishes on repeat to find some favorites. Thus far fried morning glory in garlic oil has become a daily staple and I have now decided to share with you my new love for Tom Yum Kang. This Thai staple is a spicy soup eaten at all times of day. The broth is meat based with ginger, coconut milk, lime leaves and Tom yum paste, made similar to curry powder. Then added in fairly large chunks are tomatoes, oyster mushrooms, cauliflower and Tom Yum Kang is made with shrimp. Tom Yum ..... add in other words for chicken or pork or various seafaring animals. It is spicy but the generous quantity of coconut milk cools it down. It feels hearty like a stew but has tons of flavor. I eat it every morning for breakfast. Soooo good. For my foodie friends, try it. It is so worth the effort tracking down the Tom yum paste. This video is a good representation of what I eat! http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HbwczyovR7w&feature=related#/watch?v=HbwczyovR7w&feature=related Btw, I cannot load pictures yet as I am pretty rural right now. I am sorry for the weird you tube links.

No comments:

Post a Comment