Sunday, September 19, 2010

Quiet Solitude

For the first time in days, it is quiet. We have been back in Portland for under two weeks and have been busy to say the least. Connecting with friends and family was our first priority. There were welcome back signs, hugs and kisses, breakfasts and dinners and even a Wild Woman Weekend. But now I sit alone with my family all snuggled together listening to the pitter patter of rain on the roof and I take a big deep breath. This is good. It is good to be loved and have connections. I know this and genuinely am happy for my life in Portland.

But, I miss us. I miss watching the boys climb boulders while a sun sets over the Dakota prairie. I miss reading for an afternoon next to a creek. I even miss the feeling of us against the world while trying to navigate a strange new town looking for a grocery store. I miss the easy sway of life on the road without responsibilities and expectations.

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful post! We too are missing the big open road and all of the beautiful places it leads you to. Soon enough we will be reunited. =0)

    ReplyDelete