Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Cinema

I love movies and thought I'd share some of my recent good finds...

Peter and Vandy – I chose this film on the merits of Jason Ritter’s acting chops in Good Dick. It is a funny romantic comedy that has the intriguing twist of being shown in jumbled time frames. You have no idea until towards the end what is the beginning, end or middle part of the relationship you are watching unfold. It kept my attention as it felt like a mystery I wanted solved.
The Social Network – there are a million reviews of this movie online and they are all correct. This was a very good movie showing the beginnings of the monumental Facebook empire. It also explained to me why Facebook always feels like high school all over again.

Seraphine – The true story of the life of artist Seraphine Louis that lived a poor life as a house cleaner during WWI but spent her off hours painting for the angels. This film had beautiful art direction and cinematograpy and reminded me of an Ang Lee film. I love movies where the people behind the lens are just as apparent as the actors in front of it. (French)
Happy Go Lucky – This felt very much like a lot of independent British films I’ve seen in the past. The undercurrent of tension being the most obvious. My distraction with the main character’s nose was ridiculous which happens to me sometimes when I’m not so into the movie (hence my strong dislike for everything Jennifer Jason Leigh and her monotone voice mentioned previously on this blog). It was entertaining though if not just for her costumes.
Amelie – I’ve seen this movie three times now. Me like this movie. It feels like moving art. The production team alone deserves an award for bringing such vivid colors to a screen. I watch so many movies that rarely do they surprise me. Last year’s Wes Anderson directed Fantastic Mr. Fox and this year’s Scott Pilgrim vs. the World are on par with this movie. If you’re into straightforward movies, these are not them. You must use your imagination to understand them. That is why they feel like a sculpture or a Salvador Dali to me. (French)
Toy Story 3 – yes, I cried. It is a very well made movie for both children and adults. I looked around at people in the audience (2 buck Tuesday at the Baghdad) and there were more adults then children. The super hipster next to me that probably arrived on a fixie was laughing when Casey was and crying when I was. It’s really a well done movie.
Bronson – OK, I fell into this movie after watching a four hour miniseries of Wuthering Heights on You Tube. I fell in love with the Heathcliff actor and Googled him. Tom Hardy is his name. He was also the cocky guy in Inception and the gay guy in RocknRolla. He’s a heck of an actor but nowhere is he as good as he is in Bronson. He’s FANTASTIC. This is the story of Britain’s incarcerated and famous Charlie Bronson who has spent 31 or his 34 years behind bars in solitary confinement. He’s crazy or brilliant.

No comments:

Post a Comment